- Final call to take advantage of the lodgment penalty amnesty15 Dec 2023
- Deny deductions for ATO interest charges14 Dec 2023
- Updated guidance on R&D claims14 Dec 2023
- ATO pauses debt awareness campaign28 Nov 2023
- Unpaid present entitlements - Appealing the Bendel AAT decision21 Nov 2023
- SMSFs investing in property22 Nov 2023
- Do your clients have a holiday home?23 Nov 2023
- Help your clients get GST right at settlement21 Nov 2023
- Small business directors may benefit from the lodgment penalty amnesty17 Nov 2023
- Updated ato.gov.au: sneak peek9 Nov 2023
- Don't wait! ATO lodgment penalty amnesty is ending9 Nov 2023
- Prohibited SMSF loans26 Oct 2023
Our Solutions For Your Practice
If you’re looking for spreadsheets, working papers, templates and much more for your accounting practice, you’ve come to the right place.
Accountants Desktop emerged from an accounting practice and continues to work closely in that environment. We know what practices need and have been providing solutions to the profession since 2008.
Check out our samples, watch the videos on our YouTube channel and see what our users say about us below.
Access all of our content with an annual subscription (can be paid monthly) or browse through our products for sale below and purchase just what you need.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Accountants Desktop Features
Get access to hundreds of Excel templates for tax, accounting and practice management calculations as well as our own unique JobPaper collection of workbooks which take the work out of workpapers.
Download dozens of checklists for practice workflow, job procedures and client communication. Customise these Microsoft Word forms to suit the individual needs of your practice.
Browse through our comprehensive list of links to the ATO and other websites to quickly find technical reference material.
Find any tax rate or threshold you need in our comprehensive list of current and prior years rates.
Keep up to date with, or search our list for, ATO emails circulated regularly to tax practitioners. We focus on topics of interest to small and medium practices
Make use of our extensive range of templates for your outgoing emails and letters. Letters are in Microsoft Word format and can be downloaded and customised as necessary.
Why Use Accountants Desktop?
- Reduce time spent on client work
- Maintain or improve quality control
- Consistency across your practice
- Predictable and reliable outcomes
- Guide new or inexperienced staff
- Free up partner & manager time
- “Flying start” for new practitioners
- Broad range of resources to use
- Timely updates to existing content
- New content regularly added
- Hire Purchase Calculators (2023 and later) (3 Feb 2024)
With the exception of the Hire Purchase Summary and Hire Purchase Payout calculators, each calculator can now be used for any contract date on or before the year end of that calculator. e.g. For a contract beginning on 15/02/19 you can now use the 2023 or 2024 calculator. Previously you had to navigate back to the file for the financial year during which the contract began (2019 in our example). The Journal worksheet now reconciles journals with the schedule.
Calculations/2023 & 2024/Hire Purchase etc
- Tax Planning 2024 New (25 Jan 2024)
Our tax planning workbook for 2024 is now available for download. With this calculator you can –
- Update YTD profit to include missing items and to exclude non P&L items.
- Project YTD profit to the end of the financial year using one of three options.
- Make tax reconciliation adjustments to that projected profit to calculate taxable/net income.
- Explore tax planning opportunities and calculate tax payable by all entities and individuals in the client group.
- Account for tax on deductible payments by client to associated entities or individuals.
- Account for contributions tax and Division 293 tax on deductible super contributions where applicable.
- For discretionary trusts, view the marginal tax rate for beneficiaries and income available at that rate.
- Calculate tax saved or deferred from tax planning.
For a demonstration of this calculator in action go to the video on our YouTube channel. Make sure that your quality setting in YouTube is HD.
- BAS JobPapers 2024 Updated (19 Jan 2024)
The formulas and protection have been removed from the opening balance cells in the reconciliation sections for GST and Payroll to enable use of this working paper part-way through the year and to allow the entry of an opening balance for clients with a quarterly cycle at the quarterly section (previously had to enter at the July sheet).
- Rental Income Calculators - Updates (12 Jan 2024)
This calculator has been updated to add an “Other” column for expenses paid directly by the owner rather than via their agent –
Calculations/2023/Rental Income – Foreign
These calculators have been updated to include descriptions for borrowing expenses, capital allowances, capital works (interest was already included) and when these amounts are added to the “Other” column, you can now reconcile net rent in our calculator with the clients’ rental income schedule on their return –
Calculations/2023/Rental Income – Foreign
Calculations/2023/Rental Income – Private Use
Calculations/2023/Rental Income – Standard
Calculations/2024/Rental Income – Private Use
Calculations/2024/Rental Income – Standard
- Effective Tax Rate – User Request (8 Jan 2024)
Calculate the effective tax rate for your client group. This calculator can be used for any year so you will find it under Financial Calculations.
Calculations/Financial/Effective Tax Rate
- Small Business Boosts – User Request (27 Oct 2023)
Calculate the bonus deductions claimable under the Small Business Technology Investment Boost and the Small Business Skills & Training Boost.
Calculations/2023/Small Business – Technology Boost and Small Business – Skills Boost
- BAS - 2024 (6 Oct 2023)
Just one file now and select the entity type at the dashboard. New features include -
- New reconciliations for GST, wages, PAYGW & super;
- Import Excel worksheet or any user-selected range in that sheet; and
- Draft copy of activity statements now produced.
- Rental Income - Foreign (27 Aug 2023)
Summarise rental income and expenses in a foreign currency and convert to AUD. Add your own exchange rates for any country not listed.
Calculations/2019 – 2023/Rental Income – Foreign
- Lodgement Manager – Returns (2023) (21 Aug 2023)
Take control of your ATO lodgements with this interactive lodgement dashboard. Import your lodgement report from the ATO portal and a client report from your practice software to produce a dashboard showing –
- your overall lodgement performance for the year to date;
- the quantity and percentage of entity types that make up your client base;
- your lodgement performance by entity type for the year to date;
- current year lodgements by due dates showing the number due, the number already lodged and that percentage;
- an estimate of your 85% on-time lodgment requirements for future dates; and
- a lodgement summary for the prior 3 years showing clients with all 3 years outstanding, clients with the immediate 2 years outstanding, clients with just 1 prior year outstanding and the balance with no outstanding lodgements.
Using our new practice import wizard, import up to 3 levels of reporting data for each client from your practice software. Reporting levels may include Accountants, Partners, Office Locations or whatever you need.
These are just 3 examples of the questions that this lodgement manager can answer for you instantly –
- From a list of staff responsible for lodging returns, how do they rank and which of those staff members are behind and need help;
- How many company returns need to be lodged by your Sydney office by 31 October and who are the staff members responsible for lodging; and
- How many clients have not lodged all of their 3 prior year returns.
Calculations/2023/Lodgment Manager – Returns
- Working papers for individual returns for a client and their partner (2023) (4 Aug 2023)
This new addition to our JobPaper collection has been requested by a number of our users. Keep all of your supporting records, reports and calculations for both returns together in this file and make use of the handy job management tools and Accountants Desktop templates included with the workbook.
Calculations/2023/Returns – Individual
- Working From Home Expenses (2023) (26 Jul 2023)
This calculation is the Home Office Expenses workbook from 2022 but updated with an improved layout and expanded help. It calculates the running expenses claimable where your client works from home, using the revised fixed rate and/or actual costs methods. If applicable, it calculates occupancy (place of business) deductions for those self-employed or business owner clients or for those employee clients without an employer provided place to work. It also inlcudes a handy business use calculator to calculate the proportion of expenses deductible based on floor area and time used.
Calculations/2023/Working From Home
- Property Investment Analysis (23 Jun 2023)
Thanks to a request from one of our users, this calculator now allows you to analyse a potential property investment over any period from 1 to 10 years.
Calculations/Budgets & Projections/Property Investment Analysis
- FBT - Cars (2023) (6 Apr 2023)
Our existing calculator has been updated to include the following new features –
- There are now 2 options for calculating the cost price of a car for FBT purposes. Calculate from the contract price and make reductions or enter the individual components;
- The OWDV of a car and accessories added after purchase are now automatically calculated but you still have the option of entering your own calculation;
- A new “days available for private use” calculator has been added; and
- Information about calculating the benefit and using the workbook has been expanded.
Calculations/2023/FBT – Cars
- Tax Planning (2023) (6 Apr 2023)
April is a good time to do some tax planning with your clients. The 2023 version of our tax planning workbook has now been uploaded to the Calculations module. Features include –
- Project YTD profit to the end of the financial year using one of 3 options;
- Explore tax planning measures to reduce the client’s taxable/net income;
- View the marginal tax rates and income available at those rates for all related parties for tax-effective allocation of projected profit; and
- Automatic calculation of tax payable by a large range of taxpayer types including Residents, Non-Residents and Minors, all with a combinations of MLS and/or HELP where applicable, as well as Seniors, Companies (standard & base rate), Super Funds (accumulation and pension phases) and Trusts.
- Rental Income - Reconciliation (6 Mar 2023)
Reconcile rental income and deductions from agent and client records with multiple rental income schedules on the client’s tax return.
Calculations/2022/Rental Income – Reconciliation
- JobPapers for Annual Accounts (5 Dec 2022)
A new template calculation, Loan – Related Party, has been added to company, trust, partnership and sole trader JobPapers.
- Loan - Related Party (3 Dec 2022)
Amortise a related party loan, calculate daily interest, closing balance and payout amount.
Replaces Interest – Related Party.
Calculations/2022 & 2023/Loan – Related Party
- Foreign Income Tax Offset (30 Nov 2022)
Convert foreign income, deductions and tax paid to AUD, calculate the offset limit and amount claimable.
Calculations/2022/Foreign Income Tax Offset
- Lodgement Manager – Returns (23 Oct 2022)
Now manage lodgement of client returns in an interactive dashboard using up to 3 user-defined reporting levels.
Calculations/2022/Lodgement Manager – Returns
- Interest - Related Party (10 Oct 2022)
Calculate interest on a related party loan.
Calculations/2022 & 2023/Interest – Related Party
- CGT - Discount (1 Aug 2022)
Calculate the CGT discount percentage for an individual with periods of foreign ownership. This is a stand-alone version of the calculation in CGT – Property.
Calculations/2022 & 2023/CGT – Discount
- CGT - Property (13 Jul 2022)
Now calculating the CGT discount for periods of non-residency.
Calculations/2022/CGT - Property
- CGT - Small Business Concessions (13 Jun 2022)
Determine your client's eligibility for the small business CGT concessions and calculate the gain. This Q & A style calculator includes the following –
- Answer questions to test basic eligibility as well as eligibility for each of the 4 concessions
- Calculate aggregated turnover
- Calculate net asset values
- Identify CGT concession stakeholders
- Show results for the significant individual and 90% tests
- Calculate the gain
- Use your own order for claiming each concession
- Handy tracing calculator
Use this calculator either before the event for tax planning purposes or after the event to complete the client’s income tax return.
Calculations/2021 and later
- Tax Planning 2022 (7 Mar 2022)
For any entity type –
- Project annual profit from part-year accounts
- Adjust profit for tax reconciliation items and calculate taxable/net income
- Deduct tax planning measures
- Add names and other income of all related parties
- Calculate marginal tax rates (MTR) and income available at that rate for both the client and related parties
- Allocate taxable/net income and/or make deductible payments to related parties tax effectively using MTRs and income available at that rate
- FBT - Cars (25 Nov 2021)
Use this calculator in place of FBT JobPapers if you just want to calculate the taxable value of a car fringe benefit.
Calculations/2021/FBT – Cars
Calculations/2022/FBT – Cars
- PAYG, GST & FBT Instalment Variations (20 Nov 2021)
Calculate and keep together all variations to PAYG, GST or FBT instalments for the year. These are stand-alone versions of the sheets included with our new BAS Jobpapers below.
Calculations/2022/FBT Instalment Variation
Calculations/2022/GST Instalment Variation
Calculations/2022/PAYGI Variation - Company
Calculations/2022/PAYGI Variation - Individual
- BAS JobPapers (14 Nov 2021)
All new Jobpapers for activity statements are now available for the year ended 30 June 2022. Their features include -
- Same look and feel as the annual accounts jobpapers;
- Same job management tools as the above for each period during the year;
- Keep all BAS reports and working papers for the entire year in one file;
- Prepare GST reconciliations;
- Calculate variations to GST, PAYG & FBT instalments;
- The BAS summary included is automatically updated as you go along; and
- At EOFY, just 2 clicks to copy the BAS summary from there to the Annual Accounts Jobpaper file.
Calculations/2022/Jobpapers - BAS
- New Video - CGT Worksheets (25 Oct 2021)
See a demonstration of our CGT worksheets covering the sale of property, shares and cryptocurrency.
- New Video - Hire Purchase (22 Sep 2021)
See a demonstration of the different hire purchase calculators available.
- Query Sheet (22 Sep 2021)
This new Microsoft Word version of our query sheet now contains a table for queries and responses which can be copied directly into your email to the client.
- Account Summary (14 Aug 2021)
Summarise and reconcile any bank, credit card or loan account.
- Updated Lodgement Manager – Returns (9 Aug 2021)
Now import an ATO “All Clients” return lodgement report along with a client manager report from your system to manage practice obligations for lodgement of client income tax returns. With just 3 clicks to load the information to the dashboard, you will be able to slice and dice the data to view all desired combinations of returns and managers.
Calculations/2021/Lodgement Manager – Returns
- Updated Lodgement Manager - BAS (4 Aug 2021)
Now import an ATO not-lodged activity statement report along with a BAS manager report from your system to manage practice obligations for lodgement of client activity statements. With just 3 clicks to load the information to the dashboard, you will be able to slice and dice the data to view all desired combinations of activity statements and managers. Now comparing BAS manager performance.
Calculations/2021/Lodgement Manager – BAS
- Division 7A Loan Register (25 Jul 2021)
If you have a company with multiple year loans to multiple borrowers and want a summary to reconcile with your general ledger, use this register to paste the relevant figures in the amortisation summary from each file and all loans will be displayed in an interactive dashboard.
- Blackhole Expenditure (18 May 2021)
Use this workbook to write off over 5 years certain business capital expenditure ("blackhole expenditure") not denied by some other provision. See immediate deductions for small & medium businesses below.
1. Establishing a company or other business structure
2. Converting your business structure to a different structure
3. Raising equity for your business
4. Defending your business against a takeover
5. Unsuccessfully attempting a takeover
6. Stopping carrying on business (including liquidating a company).
Small & Medium Businesses
Note that from 1 July 2015, a start-up company, trust or partnership can immediately deduct a range of professional expenses associated with starting a new business, such as professional, legal and accounting advice.
- JobPapers Update (30 Mar 2021)
We have commenced progressively releasing our new JobPaper collection of Excel workbooks, all included under your current annual subscription.
A JobPaper is an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets, template calculations and a dashboard designed for use in a specific job type in your practice. Each JobPaper has its own built-in menu for easy navigation.
When used in conjunction with a PDF copy of client records and a PDF editor, a JobPaper forms an essential part of a paperless platform for managing and completing a job in your practice, all contained in one file and saved in your document management system for easy retrieval.
In addition to including the relevant Accountants Desktop template calculations for the job type, each workbook also comes with checklists for job procedures and pre and post job admin tasks (all customisable), a to do list, a queries sheet, sheets for file notes and job-related communications, a dedicated records sheet, as well as several worksheets for specific tax and accounting reports and calculations. All in one file! At the end of the workbook there are blank worksheets to use for any other purpose.
The following JobPapers have now been released –
* 2020 annual accounts for a company
* 2020 annual accounts for an SMSF
* 2020 annual accounts for a partnership or sole trader
* 2020 annual accounts for a trust
* 2021 FBT
* Sundry job (any other job not covered by a specific JobPaper)
The final stage of our JobPaper collection is expected to be released in May/June and will include the following 2021 JobPapers:
* BAS for a company
* BAS for a trust
* BAS for a partnership
* BAS for a sole trader
If you want some suggestions on working without paper in an accounting practice and see how JobPapers can form an integral part of that process, check out our short video on YouTube here. Links to videos with Adobe and Excel tips will be released with the JobPapers.
- Tax Planning Workbooks Rolled Forward to 2021 (21 Feb 2021)
Project annual profit, estimate taxable income and calculate tax payable by the business and their owners for 2021. Explore ways to defer or save tax. Separate workbooks for companies and non-companies.
- Rental Income – Private Use (19 Feb 2021)
Summarise rental income and expenses and calculate tax deductible amounts for a property with private use (e.g. Airbnb). Enter the floor areas of the property and income producing area along with the period or total nights used for private and income producing purposes for automatic calculation of the deductible amounts.
Calculations/2020 & 2021
- CGT - Cryptocurrency (10 Oct 2020)
Calculate the profit or loss and capital gain or loss on multiple disposals of cryptocurrency. Enter unlimited purchases for each sale and select which parcels to sell based on the desired outcome. Calculate the quantity and cost base of the remaining currencies where there was a partial disposal.
- Unused Concessional Superannuation Contribution Caps (23 Aug 2020)
Calculate and maintain a register of unused concessional superannuation contribution caps. Calculate increased maximum caps each year where applicable and project expiry date of unused caps.
Calculations/2020 and 2021
Watch Our Videos
The first video takes you on a tour of our site and shows you what we offer.
The remaining three videos preview a day in the life of 3 Accountants Desktop users. Roger, partner, Jane, senior accountant and Kim, personal assistant show how they use Accountants Desktop in their work on a typical day.
To see all of our videos
To access sample content
What people say about Accountants Desktop
Lyn WilliamsonReporting & Compliance Manager, DLA Partners
Kathie KleinIn The Black Accounting
Vicki ZambelliAbacus Taxation Services, Qld
Chantal SpangenbergAbacus Taxation Services, Qld
Rosanna FelicettiFinCare Accounting
Alicia Adams, Sunshine Coast(on our new JobPapers)
Genelle Nash, Sydney
Coral Page, PrincipalKnox Taxation and Business Advisory
Samantha SharpGuardian Bookkeeping & Training
Andrew McManusHLV Partners
Nathan RigneyNGR Accounting
Angela RobertsSenior Accountant (BCom), OOL Accounts
Rosie Squibb BCom MAppTaxCA SMSF Specialist
Paul Bailey B. Bus. (Accounting) FIPA, FFARegistered Tax Agent, ASIC Registered Agent, Principal, Northern Beaches Accountants
1 – 5 Users
Effective cost $22 per user
per month with 5 users
Minimum 12 months
All prices include GST
6 – 10 Users
Effective cost $17 per user
per month with 10 users
Minimum 12 months
All prices include GST
11 – 15 Users
Effective cost $14 per user
per month with 15 users
Minimum 12 months
All prices include GST
16 – 20 Users
Effective cost $12 per user
per month with 20 users
Minimum 12 months
All prices include GST
We accept Mastercard, Visa, Diners Club and American Express
Calculation Packages For Sale
Purchase an individual product to access only the features you need.
If you purchase any calculation package below, you will have unlimited use of the files within your practice and you will receive all subsequent updates to any files included in that package as well as any new calculations added after your purchase.